I bought a secondhand futon today. It's way better than the new ones I was looking at. It's actually made of wood instead of metal, and the mattress is super thick so I can't feel the bars underneath it. Unfortunately, it is also way too big for the Malibu. I had to leave the futon with the previous owner while I come up with a way to transport it. I will see if I can scrape anybody up from the physics department, but I don't know too many people yet and a lot of people are out of town. I will probably have to get a little U-Haul truck and move the futon by myself. But once this ordeal is over, I will have a kickass piece of furniture for my apartment.
I am also thinking about taking my broken computer chair back to Staples (sans receipt) and demanding a chair that works. Hell, it might even work.
I finished my Lewis & Clark book (Undaunted Courage, by Steven E. Abrose). It just kept getting more depressing. For example, Lewis commits suicide. Even so, I thought it was a very good book and I recommend it. It was amazing how different the world was back then. They didn't even have trains, steamships or the telegraph yet.
I found out that Band of Brothers was written by the same author, and I knew instantly it was my next book. I think I'm hooked on history books now. I went over to Borders and picked it up...but I was bad, and got other books too. (The clearance rack was too tempting!) At least it's cheaper than video games. The clearance rack books were The Far Side of the World (which the movie was partially based off of) and Science Goes To War: The Search For The Ultimate Weapon, From Greek Fire To Star Wars. They were $4 each. How could I resist? So I've got plenty of reading material to keep me occupied for a while.
Today's PH 211 lab was way better than Tuesday's, but it took a lot out of me. I guess I use a lot of energy when I teach. They only have one lab next week, so I think I'm going to take it and make the other (currently absent) TA do both recitations. Hard to believe this class is almost over already. I am supposed to be reassigned to an even shorter class for the final summer session. At least these summer classes are a good warmup for the big fall classes.
Tomorrow, the primary goal by far is to get my futon moved in. Then I can call it a weekend and laze about reading.
1 comment:
You're through Undaunted Courage already? I'm only through the first few chapters!
Have to agree about the value of reading,and it's easy to get caught up in history sometimes.
Post a Comment