06 November 2005

broken

I finally broke down and bought a new computer chair. While it is not spectacular, it it nicer than my last chair and seems to be much sturdier. However, I noted that the warranty covers use up to users some 30lb. lighter than I am. Big guys like me just can't get a break. Or rather, get them too often. The chair needs to be broken in yet, but I thouroughly enjoy my reclaimed ability to recline.

On Friday I took a tour of OSU's new engineering building, specifically pointing out 'green' features. For example, the building collects rainwater to flush the toilets. I also got to go on the roof to see the small solar water heater and PV array they have up there. That was pretty cool, except it was pouring and cold outside, so needless to say our little rooftop excursion was brief. The tour was cool not only because it showed this stuff off, but also because the project manager told us about things that weren't going as well as planned, a reminder that things in real life never work perfectly the first time.

Lisa had a belated Halloween party last night. Not being one to celebrate most holidays, I had to scrounge up a costume at the last minute, failing miserably - especially since Vincent had an awesome pirate costume. However, I did bring my secret weapon (peanut butter fudge) which I managed to get right on the first try, and that went over well at the party. Perhaps next year I will actually make a proper costume.

I also played through Half-Life: Opposing Force over the weekend. It's pretty short so I managed to be the whole thing. The game is an interesting second look at HL1, and it's pretty odd playing it after being adapted to HL2.

Another hectic week ahead. When I plan stuff out the days are practically blurring together. It's week 7 of 10 for the term though, so I'm getting there. Another PH 211 midterm this week, so my weekend is shot again. Definitely packing my iPod for that.

The Hard Lessons play on Tuesday! That's going to be a long night, but worth it.

I'm currently reading Body of Secrets, a book about the NSA. I am up to the end of Vietnam. The book is pretty fascinating, but also makes me a little sick. The Bush administration may be very good at reckless and stupid things, but by no means are they the first to do them. Stuff like a proposal to cause terrorist attacks in the U.S. to incite a war with Cuba, almost starting WWIII by poking the USSR, and the complete lack of communication security in Vietnam causing many deaths. It just makes me want to stay away from government even more. Lisa wants to be a senator, but I'll settle for being left alone.

No comments: