05 July 2005

the oregon trail, day four: kennewick, WA

We made it to Washington. Our relief was quickly tempered by the revelation that Washington is a damned barren wasteland. Fortunately we are on the Oregon border now and we will be out of this state first thing tomorrow morning. I tried to take the last stretch of driving but the wasteland drained what little energy I had left, so we had to switch drivers.

We could tell we were getting near Washington because we started seeing hybrids again coming from the other direction. We didn't see any in the red states. I saw an Insight and three Priuses in 10 minutes. It was like an oasis in the desert. Or not.

We started this morning in Montana. The place we were staying at smelled like asphault and diesel fuel. Ritzy. The first stop we made after that left a more positive impression. Montana has quite a few impressive hills, but that translated into a highway that was constantly twisting and turning because we had to navigate around them. We also went through about 50 miles of Idaho, which was pretty much the same. Idaho was the last time change, so now we are on Pacific time.

We drove about the same distance as yesterday, but I think my stamina for this crap is dropping. I am very happy that tomorrow we will reach Corvallis. As for right now, we are going to get some dinner at a local restaurant with Manhattan Project theming. Apparently there was a plutonium breeder reactor somewhere in this area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome theme for a restaurant! Hope you guys got a matchbook cover or something like that!