27 July 2005

man 1, tomato soup 0 (but just barely)

I had an epic battle with a can of tomato soup today. Shortly after that my computer chair broke. I figured if I couldn't eat lunch or surf the web without incident, I shouldn't be out and about today. I only went out briefly to get lecture notes for the class I TA because I have to teach recitation tomorrow. The poor bastards have a midterm on Monday.

I am expanding my culinary repertoire again tonight by making burritos. Over the weekend I got some ground beef and I've already had burgers a couple of times. I still need to find a good burger seasoning though, my burgers are pretty plain. I should ask Mikey what goes into Mikeyburgers. I also had grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch, the first time since I've been out here.

Here's the deal with the soup. It comes in pop top cans. The tab quickly fell off without doing anything. I stated aloud that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and pierced two holes in the lid so I could pour the soup out. However, the soup was so viscous that it resisted pouring. I then stated that there are more than two ways to skin a cat, and broke out the can opener. I soon found to my dismay that the lid of the can is set deep enough below the rim that the can opener's blade does not touch it.

I had to call a timeout to think about this for a couple minutes.

While searching my apartment for more advanced tools of the piercing or bludgeoning variety, I finally came across a solution. I jammed a pair of pliers into the ineffectual pouring-holes and wrenched the lid off, thus securing victory and a side dish for lunch.

The school paper says that a grad student (not in my department though) fell 700 feet while climbing and died over the weekend. It took another climber an hour to reach her. This is why I like terra firma. I'm not going to fall 700 feet to my death playing Gran Turismo 4.

Between Lance Armstrong and the shuttle launch, there have at least been some good points in the news recently. Political stuff just gets me upset.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lawry's seasoned salt, cavender's seasoning, some KC masterpiece barbeque seasoning, pepper, and just a little garlic salt and NaCl. Hope you're having a good summer Jon.

Anonymous said...

onion salt and/or garlic salt. Pepper. or Lea and Perrin's Sauce. It's the burger booster, you know.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the bit about the timeout.

Anonymous said...

I find it amusing that the shuttles were grounded for two and a half years, and what's the first thing that happens? The exact same thing as before. I thought that in the two and a half years of investigation and repairs and modifications, they would've secured the foam insulation on the rocket boosters a little better. dumbasses.