I was out and about a bit today. It's Saturday, so I checked out the Farmer's Market. It was actually very nice, most of First Street gets closed down for it. I bought some strawberries that are quite good. I also went to the normal store to pick up regular groceries. I grilled a chicken breast on the Foreman grill, which is a step up from what I've been eating so far. I haven't been too bad though, I've only had fast food once or twice this week. The chicken was damn good.
I went to Borders today to get the MIT book for my friend, but it turns out nobody has it. I'll probably have to get it online. I have another MIT book that's pretty good but it's a little depressing, so I'm not going to send it to my friend. Reading the MIT books is very interesting because MIT is so much different from everywhere I've been. I was tempted to apply to MIT for grad school but they didn't really have a good program for me, and I don't think I could handle the environment anyway. I wonder if they ever bothered to formally reject PJ.
My apartment is starting to come together. I got some more shelves so I can get more crap off my card table. I listened to Car Talk while putting them together, I've been enjoying listening to those knuckleheads. With more of my stuff sorted my pad is looking less like a storage shed and more like I actually live here. I really need to find a sofa or futon though.
One thing that I basically confirmed today was that Corvallis is a technology desert. We don't have an EBGames or Gamestop, let alone a Best Buy. And the nearest stores aren't in the next city over. They're in Salem, which is about an hour away. Harsh. Corvallis does have a Mac store but that's like saying, "Sorry, we don't have any gasoline, but we do have diesel!" Thanks, that does me a ton of good. At least I know where to get iPod gear. I'm obviously going to have to plan a sortie to Salem - I have $35 in Best Buy reward zone coupons that aren't usable online, I could use a USB hub, and I'm itching to get a new clearance rack PS2 game.
The next town over does have a billiards hall. In fact, I think there's plenty to do around here (except buy technology). If only I had a crew to hang out with. I should meet some of the other grads next week, but what I really want is for the other new guys to show up. I have to wait until late September for that. At least I should be thoroughly settled by then.
I really want to go to a Hard Lessons concert. They have not posted anything about a West Coast tour yet though. If they come to Portland I don't care what else is going on, I'll be there. I'm trying to find out what kind of local bands there are, but I don't know if there's anything like the Hard Lessons.
1 comment:
emmmmmm chicken! :)
Post a Comment