05 July 2010

adventures in firebird ownership - the breakdown, pt. III

Today I was able to get to a more HELPFUL auto parts store. They ordered some bushing kits for me - it was the same part number I saw mentioned on 3rdgen.org, so all the better. They were supposed to call me when the parts showed up but they failed to - I had to go to the store myself.

I put the new part in. It felt solid this time. I drove around that parking lot, shifting constantly - no problems. Before I had only been able to get about three shifts in before it died. I went down the street to a big empty parking lot where I could break down safely and did some hard starts - still no issues! I then drove all the way around my neighborhood. Just as I turned back onto my street, the pedal gave out. I was stuck in neutral but I was on a downhill leading right into my apartment complex, so I was able to coast back to my parking spot.

When I looked at what had happened, I found the bushing itself was not broken but the master cylinder had still slipped off. The bushing is supposed to clip into a groove on the clutch pedal, but apparently didn't. I put the parts back together and tightened them with pliers so it would hold as best I could manage.

I drove out again, much more hesitantly.

I made it through the heaviest traffic, but as I was going up the back hill it broke again. There wasn't any place to turn off and I didn't have enough momentum to reach the top of the hill. I considered rolling the car back down the hill, but then a lady in a Camry pulled up right behind me. I was stuck where I was, so I put the flashers on, told her I couldn't move and got out in the street to conduct a field repair. A few harrowing minutes later it was back together - I was able to shift into first and limp home.

It now seems clear the generic replacement is not going to work. I'm not sure how to proceed though. I could order the exact part number online, but the place wanted $15.95 for shipping and handling which is insane for plastic mouse pelvises. That also isn't a guarantee it won't slip off again in the future. I might be able to use a clip like that found on the brake pedal - thank god THAT one won't fall off. I might be able to get these parts straight from a dealer, but they were closed today because of the holiday. The online forum also says the solution in the 4th-gen is more robust and salvaging those parts is a good idea. I don't know.

No comments: