After a shower and some dinner, I went out to check up on the Firebird to determine what could be done next.
As I unscrewed the panel in the driver's side footwell, a broken zip-tie fell out. I poked around and found the clutch master cylinder link (and the replacement bushing), but could not determine where it attached to the clutch pedal until after I studied the diagrams in the manuals more thoroughly and brought a better flashlight out.
The replacement bushing didn't seem too bad, so I put it back on and fitted the pedal to the master cylinder. The bushing promptly broke again, with tab bits flying out. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I put it back on backwards, and it actually held! With this rigging I was able to move it from the dump spot into my usual parking space. I then tried my luck and drove around the entire parking lot, but just as I was finishing the circuit the pedal broke again. This time I was stuck in first, so I limped back to my parking space and stalled it there.
Tomorrow I will see if NAPA is open - I have had it happen before that these replacement parts on the shelves have been sitting there so long that the plastic gets brittle. It seems like a crappy component anyway so I will need the nicest crap I can get. At least it seems like I fully understand the issue now.
No comments:
Post a Comment