18 May 2008

when this is through

I've had my projector set up for my Xbox for a while now. My DVD player is also hooked up but I've never been able to use the upconvert feature. I primarily use component video but the player refused to upconvert except for HDMI, and the correct adapter doesn't seem to exist. I gradually pieced it together with DVI as an intermiediary, but it turned out one of my DVI cables had two more pins than the other so I had to get another adapter. I finally got that and hooked everything up...and it doesn't work. It turns out my DVD player is riddled with copyright protection and refuses to engage the HDMI port unless it gets a handshake from an equally paranoid TV. So now I have to see if I can find an upconvert DVD player without copyright protection.

Traffic was surprisingly stupid today. Going through town I hit every red light except for the ones where I actually wanted to stop - say, to take a picture of the V8 Vantage going the other way. Some cyclist decided it would be a good idea to cut across a busy road instead of waiting for a gap, and I got stuck behind a van with a bumper sticker saying 'SLOW DOWN'. Nobody seemed to know what lane they needed to be in either.

I went to Fry's this weekend for new headphones because my old foldable ones fell apart. I decided to go for the in-ear type, the kind usually blamed for causing hearing damage. I normally hate that type, but that is because I've only tried the hard plastic ones - all the decent sets have silicone padding. Surprisingly, the pair I got has a better frequency response than my old headphones, and since it's in-ear all that sound is pumped directly into my head. I can barely hear myself with them in. It's kind of a pain to get them both in correctly, which isn't helped by the fact that my hearing is very slightly asymmetric. There is still the problem of how to store the damn things without them getting tangled.

No comments: