29 June 2006

norton liveupH8 (computers suck)

I repartitioned and reformatted my computer, and I spent the day trying to get everything installed again. I hate this part because entering serial numbers and install directories is tedious. And then there are the programs that just never work.

Norton is one of these. After installing, it needs dozens of update files from the internet and every time I have to reinstall it, LiveUpdate seems to say "That update there. You can't have that." and it refuses to install that part no matter how many times I try. Symantec's only advice is to uninstall and reinstall Norton, but I've done that three times now and it don't work. I think it has something to do with installing the WinXP service pack before updating Norton. I hate how everything needs to be installed in a certain order and if you do it differently it will make your life miserable.

Of course, Norton couldn't have the show to itself. My iPod also crashed. Again. I managed to fight with it long enough to get it wiped/restored (thank you Apple for making it so I have to erase the whole thing every time I have to fix it), but the iPod has to be hooked up to the AC power supply to reboot and work again. And of course I left that cable in Oregon, because you can just charge it by USB.

I'd like to point out that to make the iPod get recognized by the computer so I could wipe it, I had to strike it against the desk. Physical violence makes technology work better.

I also forgot to back up the saved passwords for my fingerprint scanner, so now I don't remember how to get into anything. So far I've managed to get back into my online credit card statement and this.

Fortunately, one thing that does work is Generals: Zero Hour, because after fighting with computer crap all day I need to blow a lot of stuff up to chill out. Once this all gets sorted out it will be good. My new drive has over 150GB free and my 120GB drive is still empty (though untested) - I will have no shortage of storage space for a long time.

1 comment:

Mike said...

There was one time I had to set my computer's clock back a while to get something Norton-related to install. I was so baffled: who would design systems so poorly?